What We Know
- 6% of college students seriously considered suicide
- 2% of college students seriously considered suicide while drinking
- 1% of college students attempted suicide one or more times
- 5% of college students intentionally injured themselves—cutting, bruising, burning, etc.
- 70% of people give some indication before they attempt suicide—a joke, a hint, or a comment
What We Can Do?
If someone directly or indirectly talks, jokes, hints, or writes about death or suicide, take it seriously.
If you suspect your friend is thinking about suicide
- Ask Directly. “Are you thinking about suicide?”
- Seek immediate professional intervention— If your friend’s response is “YES”.
- Do NOT leave them by themselves. Stay with them until emergency personnel arrives.
If the situation is NOT a life-threatening emergency, contact the IU Counseling Center at (812) 855-5711 and press option 1 for the 24-hour crisis line.